Friday, April 27, 2012

We Remember, April 27, 2011

It is hard to believe that it has been a year since Alabama was hit hard with tornadoes. It is hard to believe after a year, we are still recovering. That day had affected each one of us in a different way, i.e., losing a love one and losing material things. Materials things can be replace (not the sentimental value), but life cannot. One thing we learned from this experience, we have to take every warning seriously, no matter how BOGUS its sounds. You never know what will happen.


While I write this post, I was thinking what I was doing that day and it is so clear from detail to detail. I remember being up at 3am hearing the first sirens and running to get the emergency kit, putting shoes on, and checking with my dad about a plan. Warning went over... took a brief nap and turned on the television and realized my brother's neighborhood was hit hard. I freaked out and called him and I was glad to his voice and knowing that Caiden and him was okay. Got ready for work, tired because the siren woke me up. Got to work, looked at AL.com and heard that bad weather was coming again. It hard to live in Jefferson County because majority of the bad storms come through there, my job is in Shelby County with rarely has warnings. People really do not understand how paranoid I am when it comes to weather reports because I am far from my family. Anyway back to the story, got the call from the school.. CLOSING DOWN EARLY.. Rushed got the little one.. went home to prepare.. went outside to get my cat.. then.. I saw it.. The funnel cloud that hit Tuscaloosa (F4).. GEEZ.. Totally freaked .. like an idiot tried to take a picture.. (NOT SMART TOSHA).. then calm before storm passed and hit the city about 5 minutes from me. WOW.. I remember..  the insecurity, the destruction, the fear, the unknown and the cloud. The surrounding communities around me Pleasant Grove and Pratt City were hit hard.

Let me share, the scene after the storm. Seeing the pictures brings back the memories of this day.







What do you remember from April 27, 2011?

No comments:

Post a Comment