Sunday, April 1, 2012

We are now a Stick Head Family and Lovin' It!

I just realized that I have not posted an entry regarding the newest chapter in my life (more so for my family). Last year was one of the hardest for Kay with all the testing and seeing a change with her confidence. We were able to find out more about what was going with her and now it seems things are getting better especially with her confidence. She mentioned an interest in football to me and Ivan. We both know ,she loves playing sports and thought it would alright, but in the back of my head, I was thinking...mmm NOT! So I talked to her movement teacher, Jennifer at her school. She provided me her insight and suggestions about what sports would be good for her to play especially the ones that would focus on her weaknesses. She suggested the following: lacrosse, basketball, and gymnastics. She also provided me some insight in regarding to Kay.

Let me share this (one of the many reasons why I love Kay's school, the teachers really are in tune with their students)....**in my squeaky voice: RARITY!**

"You are an OT.....remember. She is bright and intelligent and our society sadly does not value that enough to safely protect the brain. Too many injuries. Part of me says...go Kaylen....then the rest of me says.....OMG. Swimming? Tennis? Lacrosse? Flag football? Ultimate? Anything but football, martial arts and soccer. Also, what do those team sports teach....the underlying theme (ya know...what will she practice in this play?). To invade the space of others. Run over the weak. Steal and sneak. Do...don't think. Kay needs a game to challenge her weaknesses. Find a game where space is respected, the physical body is valued not trashed....not strengenthened to take a hit. Any time a child plays one of these sports they carry the mentality of the game with them.....they CANNOT separate the game from what they do.....which IS why I spend so much time carefully choosing games for our kids."

This really stuck to me.. So we decided on the game LACROSSE and guess what! She is loving it. This is her first year playing this sport and she is getting pretty darn good with it. As a mom, it is so good to her smile and seeing her confidence increase. (starting to tear up with this one). The joy of seeing her on the field is just speechless and makes me so proud to see her play. I also love her competitive side.. I wonder who she gotten that from... Anyway, seeing her score and running that field is just amazing to me. I want to share with you some pictures from recent game.


Check out those muscles on her!


She is pretty fast....



Also, if you do no not mind, please leave a comment on this post. She loves seeing what people are saying about her..

3 comments:

  1. great photos!! She looks like she is really enjoying the sport!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much. She LOVES IT!!! We are so happy for her as well..

    ReplyDelete